Daily Mail: The Kenyan shopping mall where Islamic terrorists are holding shoppers hostage is on fire (center) as and a fierce gun battle is underway as the special forces try to bring an end to the three day siege. One of the latest confirmed fatalities in the Nairobi attack was that of Elif Yavus, a malaria specialist who graduated from Harvard University and was eight-and-a-half months pregnant when she was killed during the attack. Ms Yavus had worked with the Bill Gates Foundation to end the spread of the fatal disease and her Facebook profile shows a picture of her shaking former President Bill Clinton’s hand at a recent event for the group. She was killed alongside her partner Ross Langdon, an architect with joint British and Australian citizenship. Kenyan special forces were today locked in a fight to the death with Islamic terrorists who have been barricaded inside a Nairobi mall with up to 40 hostages since Saturday.
Witnesses described hearing four large explosions at the Westgate Shopping Centre followed by the sight of thick plumes of smoke and the sounds of fierce gunfire after the military tried to break the three day siege by gaining access from the roof.
It is feared that some of the gunmen, who are from Al Qaeda affiliated group Al Shabaab, may have blown themselves up, though a Kenyan government minister said that militants had set fire to some mattresses in a supermarket as a decoy. Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku said that two of the terrorists had been killed and that most hostages were now free. All of the militants were men, he added, although some were dressed as women. ‘We think the operation will come to an end soon’, he said. ‘We are in control of all the floors, the terrorists are running and hiding in some stores… there is no room for escape’.
The Red Cross has put the death toll at 62 and four Britons have been confirmed dead. At least 175 were injured, including children.
Has British 'White Widow' been killed in final assault on Kenyan shopping mall? Officials say body of white woman terrorist found at scene Daily Mail, September, 23, 2013
- Samantha Lewthwaite, widow of 7/7 bomber Jermaine Lindsay, wanted by Kenyan police on a string of terror charges
- Westgate Shopping Centre on fire amid fears that terrorists have carried out suicide bomb attack
- Architect Ross Langdon, who had dual Australian and British nationality, is confirmed among the dead
- His Harvard-educated girlfriend Elif Yavuz was also killed. She was two weeks away from giving birth
- Foreign Office confirmed on Monday that four Britons have been killed in the atrocity
- Kenyan government says two militants have died in battle to retake the building
- Claims that five of the attackers are American and two are British
- Kenyan military official says terrorists are a 'multinational collection from all over the world'
- Al Shabaab militants today said they would kill the remaining hostages inside the Westgate Shopping Centre
- Kenyan official reveals he suspects the involvement of fugitive 7/7 'white widow' Samantha Lewthwaite
- Men, women and children slaughtered if they could not recite Koran or name Prophet Mohammed's mother
- Terrorists told French citizen 'they want to kill Kenyans and Americans'
Massacre mall is now ablaze after Islamic terrorists ‘blow themselves up’. Fierce gunfire heard inside Kenyan shopping center where militants were holding dozens of hostages