More scorn, derision and contempt heaped on our once-respected nation under the post-American President Obama. No jail time for the Muslims who attacked our embassy on September 11 in Libya and killed 4 Americans (despite calls for help, Obama refused). No jail time for the attack on our embassy on September 11 in Cairo, where our flag was torn down and the flag of jihad raised.
And now this..... we are the laughingstock of savages.
They trot out that youtube video garbage. It's called free expression; it's what human beings do.
"Suspended sentences for 20 who attacked US embassy in Tunisia" The Australian, May 28, 2013 (thanks to Kenneth)TWENTY people have received a two-year suspended prison sentence for their part in a deadly attack on the US embassy in Tunisia last year, their lawyer said.
"They all got a two-year suspended sentence," said lawyer Anouar Ouled Ali.
"We will see with their families if they want to appeal. If they want to, we will do it," he added.
The verdict, which was not made public, came after only half a day, an unusually short trial in the north African country.
Hundreds of angry Islamist protesters attacked the US mission in Tunis on September 14 after an American-made film mocking their religion was published on the Internet.
Four of the assailants were killed and dozens wounded in the violence, which saw protesters storm the embassy and torch a neighbouring American school.
Questioned individually by the judge, the accused denied having taken part in the protest or attacking the embassy and the police.
Tunisian judicial rulings are not usually announced in court.
Defence lawyers strongly criticised the trial and the main charges, including premeditated attacks organised by an armed gang, with sentences ranging from five years in jail to possible death penalties.
No executions have been carried out in Tunisia since 1991 and death sentences are rarely pronounced.
"These protests were part of a spontaneous reaction throughout the (Muslim) world against attacks on our sacred symbols," said one of the defence lawyers, Slah Barakati.
He demanded that charges be dropped, saying that the trial was a result of the Tunisian judiciary bowing to pressure from the West.
"These Tunisians are in court to please the United States and the European Union," Barakati told the judge.
Another lawyer criticised the "confessions extracted by the police under pressure and threats".
The government has accused Saif Allah Bin Hussein, a former Al-Qa'ida fighter in Afghanistan known as Abu Iyadh who heads Tunisia's main Salafist movement Ansar al-Sharia, of orchestrating the embassy attack.
Abu Iyadh has been on the run from the police since September, but none of the movement's leaders have been tried for the embassy attack.
Tunisia has been rocked by waves of violence blamed on radical Islamists since the 2011 revolution that overthrew the regime of strongman Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, culminating in the embassy attack.