- Our Junior High School Principal, Rabbi David Twersky, has been drafted with an emergency draft. He's a combat soldier, and we are preparing for a ground effort. Others employees are on standby.
- Our alumnus, Brigadier General Yoav Mordechai, IDF Chief Spokesman, has been working round the clock, you may have seen him in the various media outlets.
- We are currently having a major blood drive on campus, together with Magen David Adom for students and local residents.
- We have opened our doors to 2 schools from the south, one from a moshav near Gedera called BEIT CHILKIYA and the other from Kiryat Malachi where 3 residents died this morning.
- Our graduates are operating the Iron Dome system and we have many generals serving in the HOME FRONT COMMAND that deals with the civilians located in the 25 mile rocket range. Additionally, all of our Air Force alumni that are serving in some capacity over the skies of Gaza right now.
May we only hear good news and have peace.
What a way to live.
Update: Israel Under Fire Embassy of Israel
Since the launching of Israel's anti-terror operation on November 14, Hamas has fired over 550 rockets into Israel, killing three people in southern Israel: Mirah Scharf, 25, Aharon Smadja, 49, and Itzik Amsalem, 24.
More than 1,300 rockets been fired at Israel since the beginning of the year. The Israeli government has shown superhuman restraint until now. No government would tolerate such horrific attacks on their citizens. Israel will take any measure necessary, including a ground operation to put an end to Hamas rocket fire and protect our people
The IDF has launched a widespread defense campaign against terror targets in Gaza. The sole objectives of the operation, called Pillar of Defense, is to restore peace on Israel's borders and protect its citizens.
Hamas continues to deliberately target Israeli civilians while shooting from within populated areas such as mosques, hospitals and schools. Israel is doing its utmost to protect lives in Gaza of those uninvolved, and has sent warning leaflets and text messages to Gaza civilians to move away from rocket launching areas. Yesterday, an Israeli pilot aborted a mission when he saw children near the target site. Israel continues to treat Gazan civilians in Israeli hospitals.
The Iron Dome anti-missile defense system, a cooperative effort of Israel and the United States, has intercepted hundreds of rockets, preventing them from striking populated areas in Israel. Sirens and explosions were heard in the Tel Aviv and Jerusalem areas, Israel's two largest population centers.
-PM Netanyahu's Statement to the Foreign Press (Read More)
Estimates as of Friday, November 16.
Attacks on Southern Israel
- +550 rockets have been fired at Israel since Nov. 14
- Average of 10 per hour, or one every 6 minutes
- 26 rockets exploded in built up areas
- +1300 rockets have been fired at Israel in 2012.
- +2800 rockets have been fired at Israel since 2009.
- +12000 rockets have been fired at Israel in last 12 years.
- Terrorists hold more than 10,000 rockets in Gaza.
- 4.5 million Israelis, over half of the population, are under the threat of rocket fire.
- Hamas rules the Gaza strip and is responsible for all that occurs in Gaza and all that is launched from there.
- Hamas, supported by Iran, has wielded authority over the Gaza Strip since 2007.
Over 600 targets in Gaza have been hit by the IDF
3 Israelis killed: Mirah Scharf, 25, Aharon Smadja, 49, and Itzik Amsalem, 24
International Support for Israel
United States of America
- "We strongly condemn the barrage of rocket fire from Gaza into southern Israel, and we regret the death and injury of innocent Israeli and Palestinian civilians caused by the ensuing violence. There is no justification for the violence that Hamas and other terrorist organizations are employing against the people of Israel. We call on those responsible to stop these cowardly acts immediately. We support Israel's right to defend itself, and we encourage Israel to continue to take every effort to avoid civilian casualties." -Mark C. Toner, Deputy State Department Spokesperson
- "As a bipartisan group of Senators committed to Israel's security, we express our solidarity with Israel during this deeply challenging period and denounce the reprehensible and indiscriminate rocket attacks launched by Hamas and Islamic Jihad against innocent Israeli citizens. These statements demonstrate that America continues to firmly stand with Israel and her right to defend herself. No nation can tolerate constant barrages of rockets against its civilian population." -U.S. Senate Resolution, Passed Unanimously with 64 Co-Sponsors
- ''The government condemns the repeated rocket and mortar attacks on Israel from the Gaza Strip and calls on Hamas to cease these immediately. Australia supports Israel's right to defend itself against these indiscriminate attacks. Such attacks on Israel's civilian population are utterly unacceptable.'' -Julia Gillard, Prime Minister
- "We fundamentally believe that Israel has the right to defend itself and its citizens from terrorist threats. Far too often, the Jewish people find themselves on the front lines in the struggle against terrorism, the great struggle of our generation... Canada condemns the terrorist group Hamas and stands with Israel as it deals with regional threats to peace and security." -Rick Roth, a spokesman for Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird
- "I am deeply concerned at the escalating violence in Israel and the Gaza Strip and deplore the loss of civilian lives on both sides. The rocket attacks by Hamas and other factions in Gaza which began this current crisis are totally unacceptable for any government and must stop. Israel has the right to protect its population from these kinds of attacks. I urge Israel to ensure that its response is proportionate." -Catherine Ashton, High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy
- It is obvious that Israel has a legitimate right to defend itself and protect its own citizens against rocket attacks from the Gaza Strip... Now it is necessary that everyone contributes to deescalating the situation. Everybody needs to understand that we need to prevent worse things from happening. We call upon all parties to act wisely and in a deescalating manner." -Guido Westerwelle, Foreign Minister
- "Hamas in Gaza is responsible for the outbreak of violence. There is no justification for the shooting of rockets at Israel, which has led to massive suffering of the civilian population. The Chancellor urges those responsible in the Gaza Strip to immediately stop firing on Israel." -Spokesperson for Chancellor Angela Merkel
- "Hamas bears principal responsibility for the current crisis. I utterly condemn rocket attacks from Gaza into southern Israel by Hamas and other armed groups. This creates an intolerable situation for Israeli civilians in southern Israel, who have the right to live without fear of attack from Gaza" -William Hague, Foreign Secretary