Thanks to you, hundreds of calls, letters, emails, AS tweets and FB SIOA messages were sent in protest of the Hamas-tied propagandists, CAIR, speaking to Steinbrenner High School students in Florida, after I broke the story first (here) at Atlas on December 4th and then followed up with actual names and places at which the CAIR rep spoke and when, at the American Thinker ('Hamas High School in Florida?', December 19, 2011).
Kelly R. Miliziano, History teacher of the Social Studies Department, Steinbrenner High School, announced yesterday that they have scheduled additional religious speakers to counter the CAIR operative they had speak in November. I am not sure if it will be a Hindu Priest or a Christian Pastor.
The problem with that is that CAIR's Hassan Shibly is a political speaker. A Hindu priest or Christian Pastor won't counter the poisonous propaganda that Shibly spews to our impressionable young minds. Robert Spencer, myself, Nonie Darwish, Wafa Sultan must be given a chance to speak to counter the lies of Hamas-CAIR.
Hamas-CAIR should not be speaking at all, but if the public school shills insist on presenting jihadi views, they must provide freedom lovers with the same opportunity. Further, political speakers should be off limits on school grounds.
The email exchanges between CAIR and Steinbrenner High School are revealing. Kelly Miliziano, a World History teacher at Steinbrenner, wrote this in a November 14 email: "Every year I invite a representative from CAIR to speak to our AP World History Students." After CAIR-Tampa responded favorably, Miliziano wrote again: "Over the years I have had many speakers from CAIR come to my classes, and it has been such a good learning experience for the students."
According to Kelly Miliziano (history teacher at Steinbrenner High School), she "regularly asks" Hassan Shibly of CAIR to speak. Shibly has a track record of defending jihad terrorist groups and acting as an apologist for the worldwide jihad and Islamic supremacism. Ms. Miliziano's refusal to respond to parents' requests to vet the notorious Mr. Shibly, and instead attack the parents, should be grounds for her immediate dismissal. Ms. Miliziano further went on to call parents' concerns about CAIR "baseless and Islamophobic." I urge you to politely demand that the school principal, Brenda Grasso, move to remove Ms. Miliziano at once. Brenda Grasso, Principal: email, firstname.lastname@example.org Phone 813-792-5131.
Following the 2006 Israel-Lebanon War, Shibly granted legitimacy to Hezb'allah by characterizing it as a "resistance movement" that provides valued social services to the Lebanese people. "They're absolutely not a terrorist organization," Shibly said, and "any war against them is illegitimate" -- here). Read the rest at The American Thinker.
Although it presents itself as a civil rights group, CAIR actually has numerous links to Islamic supremacist and jihad terror groups. CAIR founders Omar Ahmad and Niwad Awad (who still serves as CAIR's executive director) were present at a Hamas planning meeting in Philadelphia in 1993 where they and other Hamas operatives conspired to raise funds for Hamas and to promote jihad in the Middle East. CAIR has steadfastly refused to denounce Hamas and Hizballah as terrorist groups.
Several former CAIR officials have been convicted of various crimes related to jihad terror:
- * Ghassan Elashi, founder of CAIR's Texas chapter, in 2009 received a 65-year prison sentence for funneling over $12 million from the Islamic charity known as the Holy Land Foundation to the jihad terrorist group Hamas, which is responsible for murdering hundreds of Israeli civilians
* Mousa Abu Marzook, a former CAIR official, was designated by the U.S. government in 1995 as a "terrorist and Hamas leader." He now is a Hamas leader in Syria.
* Randall Royer, CAIR's former civil rights coordinator, in 2004 began serving a 20-year prison sentence for aiding al-Qaida and the Taliban against American troops in Afghanistan and recruiting for Lashkar e-Taiba, the jihadist group responsible for the 2008 Mumbai jihad massacres.
* Bassem Khafagi, CAIR's former community relations director, was arrested for involvement with the Islamic Assembly of North America, which was linked to al-Qaida. After pleading guilty to visa and bank fraud charges, Khafagi was deported.
* Rabih Haddad, a former CAIR fundraiser, was deported for his work with the Global Relief Foundation (which he co-founded), a terror-financing organization.
In 1998 Omar Ahmad, CAIR's co-founder and longtime Board Chairman, said: "Islam isn't in America to be equal to any other faith, but to become dominant. The Koran should be the highest authority in America, and Islam the only accepted religion on Earth."
After he received unwelcome publicity as a result of this statement, Ahmad denied saying it, several years after the fact. However, the original reporter, Lisa Gardiner of the Fremont Argus, stands by her story.
CAIR's spokesman Ibrahim Hooper once said: "I wouldn't want to create the impression that I wouldn't like the government of the United States to be Islamic sometime in the future."
And work the phones, demand equal time and a cease and desist from inviting Muslim Brotherhood groups to speak to public school students. Call for Ms. Mliziano's removal. Demand equal time for freedom fighters.
Brenda Grasso, Principal email: email@example.com Phone 813-792-5131
Kelly R. Miliziano, Ph.D. (extended the invitation to CAIR), Social Studies Department
Miliziano "preferred to have a speaker for each period of the day so that students can really interact with the speaker and ask questions."
Here is our school bell schedule.
Period 1 7:33-8:23 2 8:29-9:24
8 2:10-3:00 We should have between 30 and 40 students each
Hillsborough County Public Schools- MaryEllen Elia, Superintendent
901 E Kennedy Blvd
P.O. Box 3408
Tampa, Fl 33601 USA
Here is one parent's account of what happened to their child:
Per our discussion, I’ve listed below, in roughly chronological order, the events surrounding Hassan Shilby’s presentation around Thanksgiving to my daughter’s history class:
1. On Dec. 1st my family and I were on our way to dinner. I was discussing something related to Islam or the Middle East (I don’t recall what) when my daughter piped up that she had recently had a speaker in her class discussing Islam. My antenna immediately went up and I asked her if the speaker was from CAIR. She said that she thought he was. I then asked her what he spoke about and she told me in general it was about Islam. She said that he also said that most Muslims were not terrorists (I don’t know if this was in response to a question or simply offered), and that only 4% or 6% of Muslims were terrorists. He went on to state that the kids in the class should go on the internet and research Islam themselves.
2. Two things immediately concerned me:
- 1) the possibility that this presentation was being given by a representative of CAIR with the full knowledge and support of the school (and maybe the school district), and
- 2) the presentation coupled with the request to do research sounded like borderline proselytizing. So I decided to visit the school and speak to someone about these issues.
3. I went to Steinbrenner the morning of Dec. 5th and spoke to Ms. Kelly King, the Assistant Principal for Curriculum. She immediately saw me, and was very professional during our discussion. Not knowing if in fact a representative from CAIR had given the presentation (as my daughter wasn’t 100% certain), I first discussed my concern that the representative may have gone right to the line on proselytizing to public school students. I then asked who the speaker was, and Ms. King confirmed that it was a representative from CAIR (though she did not have a name). I explained to Ms. King that I strongly objected to CAIR being involved in the school, and recited some of CAIR’s more infamous highlights. She replied that the presentation was part of a history of religion unit in their history class. I told her that I have no problem with students being taught the history of Islam, but if the school was going to have a speaker do that, they should invite an Imam, not a representative from a religious based political organization, particularly one with such a dubious history. This went back and forth a bit, with Ms. King equating a Christian Pastor to a PAC. I pushed back on that telling her that there is no way she could equate the two. I left her requesting two things, the name of the individual who gave the presentation and a copy of the invitation letter. Ms. King said she would get with the teacher who set up the presentation and get back to me.
4. About a week or so later, I got a call from Ms. King. She had with her on the line Ms. Kelly Miliziano. Ms. King introduced Ms. Miliziano as the teacher who invited the individual from CAIR. Ms. Miliziano asked me what my concern was. I led off this time with the fact that a representative from CAIR had made the presentation, and reiterated what I had said to Ms. King. Ms. Miliziano then retorted that she thought my concern was potential proselytizing. The tone of her reply sounded defensive to me. I responded that, yes, initially that was my concern, however upon learning that a representative from CAIR had been the presenter, my priority shifted. Ms. Miliziano stated that she regularly invites Mr. Shilby to give a presentation, and that it is on the five (5) pillars of Islam and six(?) (6) principals. I told her that my concern was that the school was affiliating itself with an organization that has a less than spotless past, to put it kindly. Ms. Miliziano stated that she had checked with the State Department and all was well, and that the statements I had made about CAIR were baseless and Islamophobic. [Please note that I also expressly told her that I had no problem with the school bringing in an Imam to discuss the history of Islam.] She also stated that for this unit (the history of religion) she was also bringing in a representative of Hinduism and I believe a Methodist Minister. I attempted to get her to understand that the school was associating itself with a religious-based political organization that propagandizes for Islam & Sharia, and are terrorist apologists. She completely dismissed these concerns, saying that she had done extensive research on CAIR and Hassan Shilby. While she was talking I googled his name and discovered that he refuses to name Hamas and Hezbollah as terrorist organizations. Despite Ms. Miliziano’s protests, I believe our State Department has designated them as terrorist organizations. [In fact, on checking, they are Nos. 12 & 15 on the list.]
5. I asked my daughter today if her class had completed the history of religion unit. She said that she believes they have. I then asked her if there had been any other speakers. She said no. So, thus far the only speaker has been Hassan Shilby of CAIR, speaking about Islam, despite Ms. Miliziano’s statement that she was also going to have a Hindu Priest and Christian Minister speak to the class.
UPDATE: Benny adds in comments:
In addition to what you're doing, I suggest you demand that - in accordance with her promises made to you earlier - she has a Christian pastor brought in EXACTLY the same no. of times as they have brought in this CAIR fellow. And a Jewish rabbi .. and a Buddhist monk.
And DEMAND that that parity continues from this point forward.