The navy SEALS captured bin Laden's diary. Here's what's in store for us from the devout and pious in Islam. Obama gave him an Islamic burial out of respect for jihad. Remember that.
- Bin Laden called on followers to strike smaller cities
- Leader made macabre calculation of how many kills were needed to get the U.S. out of the Middle East
- Longed for another 9/11 to replicate mass attacks of the past
- Acted like a megalomaniac 'crime boss' plotting in concrete hideaway
- Evidence he went 'back and forth from' compound and contacted other terrorists
- Desperately wanted to 'sow political dissent' in Washington
- Targeted 'oppressed' blacks and Hispanics to join terror network
- Urged followers to strike on anniversary of 9/11 and Fourth of July
- But arrogant leader became 'lazy and complacent' about own security
It may be the most valuable find of all - a written record that takes readers inside the mind of America's greatest enemy.
Osama Bin Laden's handwritten journal has been found at the Pakistan compound where the terror chief was killed in a dramatic U.S. raid more than a week ago.
In it, he directed Al-Qaeda operatives to not only focus on New York City, but spread their operations to target smaller cities such as Los Angeles.
The discovery shatters previously held beliefs that Bin Laden was a 'has been' - acting simply as Al-Qaeda's spiritual leader rather than its operational chief.
The journal, as well as hundreds of computer 'pen' drives also containing directives, will only add to the heightened threat level across the U.S.
Treasure trove of intelligence: A Pakistani soldier walks toward the final hideout of Osama Bin Laden in Abbottabad, Pakistan, where SEALs recovered a mass of data
Among the edicts, one particularly macabre note reveals a mathematical calculation of how many people Al Qaeda would have to kill to finally force the U.S. out of the Middle East - concluding it would take another 9/11 at least.