A security alert was issued at Camp Pendleton after three Middle-Eastern men drove in under suspicious circumstances. (KABC Photo)
Security alert issued at Camp Pendleton KABChat tip Diane
CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. (KABC) -- A security alert was reportedly issued at Camp Pendleton after three Middle-Eastern men in two vehicles drove onto the base under suspicious circumstances Saturday night around midnight.
The drivers said they didn't know each other, but both said they were lost and trying to get to Glendale.
One of the drivers reportedly ignored orders to wait at the main gate and drove onto the base.
A search turned up no weapons.
But an airbag had been pulled out and reattached with duct tape and wires were hanging free.
The next morning the other driver returned to the base and said he made a mistake and was trying to get onto Interstate 5.
A background check showed that the men all had clean records.