Crucial Federal Court Hearing Tomorrow on Controversial "Leaving Islam" Bus Ad
ANN ARBOR, MI – Federal District Court Judge Denise Page Hood will hold a hearing on Tuesday July 12, 2010 at 2:00 p.m. to determine whether refusal by the SMART bus authority to run a controversial paid-for ad passes constitutional muster. The “Leaving Islam” ad lists a web address and states, “Fatwa on your head? Is your family or community threatening you? Leaving Islam? Got questions? Get Answers!” ...Read More
Reporting from Detroit: Sharia city.
I came prepared for my hearing against the city of Detroit DOT and SMART. David Yerushalmi and the Thomas More Law Center will be representing me. Robert Muise of the Thomas More Law Center was at the same courthouse yesterday representing the four Christians arrested for handing out leaflets at a Muslim festival. Time to take our country back.
Armed with hundreds of pictures of honor killing victims, Rifqa Bary's testimony, screenshots of facebook fatwas on apostates, and the actual death fatwa issued at Al-Azhar University in Cairo, the most important institution of islamic law in the Sunni world and the authority that approved the revealing English-language guide to the Sharia (Islamic law): Reliance of the Traveller. Reliance of the Traveller is a one-volume manual of Sharia. (The title implies that this is a handy compendium of Islamic law so that when you're on the road, you know how to behave in unfamiliar situations.)
It is a product of the Shafi'i school of Islamic jurisprudence, which is one of the four Sunni schools of Islamic law. It is all the more valuable because it often notes how the other schools, the Maliki, Hanbali and Hanafi, differ from Shafi'i rulings where there is a difference.
Al-Azhar University in Cairo, the most respected academic institution in the Sunni Muslim world, certified in 1991 that Reliance of the Traveller conformed "to the practice and faith of the orthodox Sunni community." In other words, it is a reliable guide to the belief and practice of Sunni Islam.
Here is apostasy from Reliance:
- *2*Chapter O8.0: Apostasy from Islam (Ridda) @(O: Leaving Islam is the ugliest form of unbelief (kufr) and the worst. It may come about through sarcasm, as when someone is told, ``Trim your nails, it is sunna,'' and he replies, ``I would not do it even if it were,'' as opposed to when some circumstance exists which exonerates him of having committed apostasy, such as when his tongue runs away with him, or when he is quoting someone, or says it out of fear.) @O8.1
- When a person who has reached puberty and is sane voluntarily apostatizes from Islam, he deserves to be killed. @O8.2
- In such a case, it is obligatory for the caliph (A: or his representive) to ask him to repent and return to Islam. If he does, it is accepted from him, but if he refuses, he is immediately killed. @O8.3
- If he is a freeman, no one besides the caliph or his representative may kill him. If someone else kills him, the killer is disciplined (def: o17) (O: for arrogating the caliph's prerogative and encroaching upon his rights, as this is one of his duties). @O8.4
- There is no indemnity for killing an apostate (O: or any expiation, since it is killing someone who deserves to die). @O8.5
- If he apostatizes from Islam and returns several times, it (O: i.e. his return to Islam, which occurs when he states the two Testifications of Faith (def: o8.7(12) ) ) is accepted from him, though he is disciplined (o17). @O8.6
- (A: If a spouse in a consummated marriage apostatizes from Islam, the couple are separated for a waiting period consisting of three intervals between menstruations. If the spouse returns to Islam before the waiting period ends, the marriage is not annulled but is considered to have continued the whole time (dis: m7.4).