By their fruits we shall know him, and so we know b. Hussein.
The man is in office all of what, 48 hours? And what does he tackle? He unshackles the jihad: he closes Gitmo, freeing the worst America haters, jihadis and murderers in the jihad's war on the West. What does he tackle? Eliminating "torture," the most effective tool for extracting information. What's torture? Sexual contact with female interrogators, sleep deprivation, waterboarding ........
Obama issued four executive orders in a sweeping repudiation of his predecessor's "war on terror." "There we go," Obama quietly remarked as he signed them.
I ask you, did he take one action to stop the jihad?
It irked me when Obama said, "The United States intends to prosecute the ongoing struggle against violence and terrorism," he said. Violence? It's war, brother.
The new President's directives will close secret CIA "black sites" and the Guantanamo Bay terror prison within a year, ban interrogation methods outside the Army Field Manual and embrace the post-World War II Geneva Conventions outlawing inhumane treatment of detainees.
Outgoing CIA Director Michael Hayden told his spies, "We will follow that direction without exception, carveout or loophole."
This was Hussein's first order of business. Further, Presidential Memorandum on Review of the Detention of al-Marri
"The president instructed the attorney general, the secretaries of defense, state and homeland security, and the director of national intelligence to conduct a review of the status of the detainee Ali Saleh Kahlah al-Marri who is currently held at the Naval Brig in Charleston, S.C. This will ensure the same kind of legal and factual review is undertaken of the al-Marri case that is being undertaken of the Guantanamo cases." (more here)
What did al-Marri do?
In 2002, Ali was charged with making false statements to the FBI and to financial institutions, identity fraud, and credit card fraud. Al-Marri was alleged to be in possession of more than 1750 credit card numbers, along with the names of the account holders, none of whom were Al-Marri. He was also alleged to be in possession of falsified identification documents. Additionally, he was alleged to have used a Qwest calling card to call a number in Dubai linked to the reputed al-Qaeda financier Mustafa al-Hawsawi. After searching al-Marri's computer, folders were found labeled "jihad arena" and "chem," which (according to the government) contained information on hydrogen cyanide, a poisonous gas produced in large quantities by several industrial processes in the U.S. and listed amongst chemical warfare agents that cause general poisoning, along with lectures by Osama bin Laden and links to Web sites related to weaponry and satellite equipment.
Al-Marri's initial charges were dropped when President Bush classified him as an unlawful combatant in 2003. Unlike other foreigners, al-Marri was not transported to the Guantanamo Bay detainment camp but was instead transferred to Naval Consolidated Brig, Charleston in South Carolina. .
Al-Marri was allowed access to legal counsel in October 2004. His lawyers report that al-Marri has described being subjected to extreme cold, with insufficient bedding and clothing. He has been deprived of all reading material, except a Qur'an. Unlike the cells at the Guantanamo Bay, which all have an arrow painted on the floor that points toward Mecca, his guards reportedly decline to inform him of which direction is East. In addition to his cell's window being merely translucent (rather than transparent), he also claims to have no clock, preventing him from knowing the proper times to say prayers. He has also reportedly been deprived of personal hygiene items.  The lack of such items have reportedly also rendered him unable to pray as a result of ritual impurity.
Here's the email alert from MPAC, rejoicing ..............
THANK PRES. OBAMA FOR KEEPING HIS PROMISE TO SHUT GITMO DOWN
(Washington, DC - 1/22/09) -- President Barack Obama today signed an executive order ordering the Guantanamo Bay detention facility to be shut down within a year, banning the use of "enhanced interrogation" methods, and ending the CIA's secret overseas prisons. The Muslim Public Affairs Council heralded the announcement as a "victory for the rule of law and human rights."
SEE: "Obama Orders Secret Prisons and Detention Camps Closed" (New York Times)
"For seven years, Guantanamo Bay has undermined our national commitment to human rights and soiled America's image abroad," said MPAC Executive Director Salam Al-Marayati. "President Obama is demonstrating his commitment to renewing our nation's ability to fight terrorism while sticking to the principles that define us."
The Attorney General, Secretary of Defense and Director of National Intelligence will now be tasked with exploring what should happen to the remaining detainees, whether the Army Field Manual should remain the only standard for interrogators, and reviewing the practice of extraordinary rendition.
The order also calls for an immediate assessment of the detention center to ensure detainee conditions meet the humanitarian requirements of the Geneva Convention.
This from Discover the Networks:
MPAC's worldview is further revealed by its many additional public statements on a wide array of issues and events:
- According to MPAC: "Israel was established by terrorism"; its founding "involved the unjust and illegal usurpation of Muslim and Christian land and rights"; and "to recognize the legitimacy of that crime is a crime in itself."
- MPAC characterizes Israel as a "racist, chauvinistic and militaristic" state that is prosecuting "a war to steal land from Palestinians, to decimate their leadership, to humiliate the Palestinian people."
- Condemning Israel's "apartheid-like ideology," MPAC warns: "History shows that Muslim and Christian religious rights are not safe under Israeli occupation."
- Israelis are "the worst terrorists in the world," says MPAC, "… Yet Israel is not found on the list of state sponsors of terrorism in the [U.S.] State Department Report on Terrorism."
- MPAC co-sponsored pro-Palestinian rallies in the fall of 2000, where MPAC speakers chanted "Khaybar, Khaybar, oh Jews, the Army of Muhammed is coming for you!" The rally featured literature and many placards calling for the annihilation of the Jews and Israel.
- A few hours after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, MPAC Co-Founder Salam Al-Marayati told a Los Angeles talk radio audience: "If we're going to look at suspects, we should look at the groups that benefit the most from these kinds of incidents, and I think we should put the state of Israel on the suspect list because I think this diverts attention from what's happening in the Palestinian territories so that they can go on with their aggression and occupation and apartheid policies."
- On November 30, 2002, MPAC Vice Chairman Aslam Abdullah said: "Those who are part of the political Zionist movement in America … know it very well that without the support of the United States … their country, namely Israel, would not be able to pursue its apartheid and racist policies in the Middle East. They will use every means possible to ensure that American administration stays on their side. They will create false enemies, they will distort facts, they will manipulate events; and they will concoct and fabricate lies. They have taken America hostage."
- MPAC was a signatory to a MAY 20, 2004 Joint Muslims/Arab-American Statement on Israeli Violence in Gaza, which "strongly condemn[ed]" Israel's "indiscriminate killings of innocent Palestinians, including many children," and its "demolition of Palestinian homes" -- but made no mention of Arab terrorism.
- On March 23, 2005, MPAC National Director Ahmed Younis spoke at a Muslim Students' Association-sponsored event, where he explained that because Adolf Eichmann was himself a Jew, it could accurately be said that Jews had killed themselves in the Holocaust.
- MPAC endorsed a November 1, 2001 document characterizing the 9/11 attacks as a legal matter to be addressed by criminal-justice procedures rather than military means. Ascribing the hijackers' motives to alleged social injustices against which they were protesting, this document called on the United States "to promote fundamental rights around the world."
- MPAC speakers regularly complain that the U.S. is "dominated" by Zionists and favors Jews over Muslims.
- Opposed to efforts to shut down Islamic charities that fund terrorism -- alleging that such efforts interfere with freedom of religion and the exercise of the Muslim obligation to give to charity -- MPAC states that the U.S. government should instead investigate what it terms Jewish "terrorists" like the Jewish Defense League. The Council signed and sponsored a petition to reinstate the assets of Hamas' charitable front, the Holy Land Foundation for Relief and Development, after it was designated as a front for terrorist financing.
- According to MPAC, "A major threat to the safety of the Muslim community is the Islam-bashing that has been very evident since 9/11. There has been a steady stream of attacks on the Quran … These attacks are vicious, mean-spirited, and politically motivated. … [T]he most sustained and vitriolic [attacks] are from right-wing Christian groups led by Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson."
- The MPAC 2002 Annual Banquet featured Ali Al-Mazrui, a SUNY-Binghamton professor who said: "There is also suspicion that some members of the Bush administration in collusion with Israel are more than ready to plunge the Middle East into turmoil in the hope that the final outcome would be to the territorial advantage of Israel and the strategic advantage of the United States. All this is part of the emerging external sadism of the United States, a readiness to hurt others abroad."
- In a May 7, 2004 statement, MPAC said: "The scandal of Abu Ghraib was not an isolated incident but a manifestation of hate rooted in a distortion of American culture. The soldiers charged for torturing and sexually humiliating Iraqi prisoners were reflecting, among other things, an irrational hatred against Arabs and Muslims. Hatred in Abu Ghraib is inextricably linked with hatred increasingly fostered by some elements of our government, our media, and other major national institutions."
- After a series of arrests made in connection with an August 2006 airline terror scare in London, President Bush called the uncovered plot "a stark reminder that this nation is at war with Islamic fascists who will use any means to destroy those of us who love freedom, to hurt our nation." MPAC spokeswoman Edina Lekovic reacted, "When the people we need most in the fight against terrorism, American Muslims, feel alienated by the President's characterization of these supposed terrorists, that does more damage than good."
In September 2005, MPAC joined with the anti-war organization Code Pink for Peace to sponsor a Culver City, California event promoting a new book by UC-Irvine professor Mark LeVine, who contends that an "Axis of Empathy" is the only strategy that can bring about a long-term solution to the war between radical Islam and the West. MPAC has also worked closely with International ANSWER, which has intimate ties to Ramsey Clark's International Action Center and the Marxist-Leninist Workers World Party.
CAIR, the American arm of the Muslim Brotherhood project, is positively gushing:
Action: Thank Obama for Order to Close Guantanamo Prisons
(WASHINGTON, D.C., 1/22/09) - CAIR is calling on American Muslims and others concerned with maintaining our nation’s ethical standards to thank President Obama for signing an executive order today to close down the prison camp at Guantanamo Bay within a year.
That order was one of three the President signed today. Another formally bans torture by U.S. interrogators, and the third establishes an interagency task force to set policies for the “apprehension, detention, trial, transfer or release of detainees.”
SEE: A Look at Obama's Latest Executive Orders (AP)
SEE ALSO: Obama Signs Executive Order to Close Guantanamo Bay (CNN)
UPDATE: Dan Riehl has an excellent post on Terrorism: Obama's Language Suggests Bad News For America's Security
Do you believe that Al Qaeda and its affiliates are intelligent purposeful beings with an agenda that differs tragically from that of Western Democracies? Or that they are simply a bunch of uninformed ignoramuses who don't take time to think?
It's important because Obama chose the language of the liberal elitist to address terrorism today. That myopic view fails to truly understand their mindset and radical ideology, somehow believing that everyone would just be "good people" if only given the chance and information.
"It is precisely our ideals that give us the strength and the moral high ground to be able to effectively deal with the unthinking violence that we see emanating from terrorist organizations around the world," Obama said.
You can call the terrorists behind 9/11 and many other attacks many things. But you cannot call them "unthinking" unless you are under the dangerously flawed assumption that, all things being equal, they would think and behave just as we do in the West.
This is the language that leads to weakness, appeasement and negotiation with an enemy bent on your destruction and interested only in manipulating any and every process they can to their advantage.
We can have any policy we choose on Guantanamo. In the end, I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference. But a President who does not understand the radical terrorist mindset in these perilous times is not a good thing for America's security and well being.
They don't want what we want because they think differently, not because they are "unthinking."
UPDATE: YIKES! Over at Liberty Sphere: Obama to Israel: 'Open Border with Gaza'
To their credit, Israel's response to Obama was measured. Without flatly refusing to consider the proposal, the Israeli leadership merely stated that they would never consider opening the border if the result would be the strengthening of Hamas, which is precisely what such an action would do.
As long as the Palestinians allow Hamas to continue to send rockets into Israel, and as long as residents in the area continue to spout their sentiment that Israel has no right to exist, then the Jewish state would be well within its rights to tell the American President to kiss off.
UPDATE: Over at today's NRO: So Much for Listening to Dick Cheney [Marc Thiessen]
From today’s WaPo:
President Obama yesterday eliminated the most controversial tools employed by his predecessor against terrorism suspects. With the stroke of his pen, he effectively declared an end to the "war on terror," as President George W. Bush had defined it, signaling to the world that the reach of the U.S. government in battling its enemies will not be limitless.
While Obama says he has no plans to diminish counterterrorism operations abroad, the notion that a president can circumvent long-standing U.S. laws simply by declaring war was halted by executive order in the Oval Office.
Key components of the secret structure developed under Bush are being swept away: The military's Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, facility, where the rights of habeas corpus and due process had been denied detainees, will close, and the CIA is now prohibited from maintaining its own overseas prisons. And in a broad swipe at the Bush administration's lawyers, Obama nullified every legal order and opinion on interrogations issued by any lawyer in the executive branch after Sept. 11, 2001.”
ME: A week ago, former Vice President Cheney advised the incoming president to take some time and look carefully at the policies and institutions the Bush administration had put in place to protect the country before following through on campaign pledges to dismantle them. President-elect Obama said on ABC’s This Week: “I think that was pretty good advice, which is I should know what’s going on before we make judgments and that we shouldn’t be making judgments on the basis of incomplete information or campaign rhetoric."
Less than 48 hours after taking office, Obama has begun dismantling those institutions without time for any such review. The CIA program he is effectively shutting down is the reason why America has not been attacked again after 9/11. He has removed the tool that is singularly responsible for stopping al-Qaeda from flying planes into the Library Tower in Los Angeles, Heathrow Airport, and London’s Canary Warf, and blowing up apartment buildings in Chicago, among other plots. It’s not even the end of inauguration week, and Obama is already proving to be the most dangerous man ever to occupy the Oval Office.