I am glad the panel upheld it --- why was it even a question. It is not lost on me that while we are still prosecuting the war criminals from the last holocaust, the prepations for the next holocaust are well underway.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. appeals panel has upheld an order to deport an 83-year-old Wisconsin man accused of serving as a Nazi SS guard whose duty was to finish off dying Jews in a two-day mass execution in Poland that killed more than 40,000, the U.S. Justice Department said on Monday.
Josias Kumpf participated in a 1943 Nazi operation that resulted in the murder of thousands of innocent victims. His culpability in this atrocity does not diminish with the passage of time," said Acting.
The department said Kumpf had admitted to participating in what the Nazis called "Operation Harvest Festival" in November 1943. About 42,000 Jews were killed over two days in the mass execution at three prison camps in German-occupied Poland.
Kumpf, who had joined the Nazi SS Death's Head guard in 1942, was serving at the Trawniki slave-labor camp at the time of the massacres, the department said.
"Kumpf stood guard as approximately 8,000 Jewish prisoners, including approximately 400 children, were shot and killed in pits at Trawniki," the department said. "According to Kumpf, his assignment was to watch for victims who were still 'halfway alive' or 'convulsing.' If any of the prisoners attempted to escape, he stated, his job was to 'shoot them to kill."'
The massacre was "one of the most infamous crimes of the," said Eli Rosenbaum, head of the Justice Department's Nazi-hunting unit, the Office of Special Investigations.
The Justice Department said Kumpf had immigrated to the United States from Austria in 1956 and became a U.S. citizen in 1964. The special investigations office and the U.S. attorney for eastern Wisconsin sued in 2003 to strip Kumpf of his citizenship and won the case in 2005.
"Josias Kumpf participated in a 1943 Nazi operation that resulted in the murder of thousands of innocent victims. His culpability in this atrocity does not diminish with the passage of time," said Acting .
UPDATE: Austria, OTOH, is still choking on its own Jew hate. Freakin Nazis ........Suspected Nazi war criminal, 95, found relaxing with football fans at Euro 2008
'Wanted Nazi' at Euro 2008 will not be extradited Times Online hat tip wolf
Austrian authorities have defended their decision not to extradite a wanted Nazi war criminal who was spotted supporting his national team at the European Football Championships.
Milivoj Asner, a Croatian citizen wanted for genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes committed during World War Two in Croatia, is number four on the Simon Wiesenthal Centre list of most wanted surviving Nazi criminals.
Croatia has repeatedly demanded his extradition in order to put him on trial, but Austrian authorities have refused to hand him over, after court experts determined that he was suffering from Alzheimer Disease and old age dementia.
Mr Asner, 95, however, has been spotted in the company of his wife Edeltraut during a leisurely walk though the southern Austrian town of Klagenfurt, where the couple reside, and was filmed drinking wine and mingling with Croatian football fans.
However, officials at the Austrian Justice Ministry told The Times that they stood by their decision not to extradite Ms Asner, as he had been declared unfit to stand trial by medical experts on two separate occasions.
May they all rot in hell. And the Nazi murderer deserves a bullet right between the eyes.