The problem with this (as I see it):
WFP Appeals for Money for Darfur
NAIROBI - Jun 20/05 - IRIN -- The UN food agency has appealed for an additional US $94 million to buy more food for an estimated 3.5 million people who could go hungry as a result of the conflict in the Darfur region of western Sudan.
is this........hat tip Gail C, Liberal Hawk
I always mention this on LGF, but when I was working for the UN, I found out that throughput for food aid in sub-Saharan Africa is 5% (Five percent!).The other 95% is skimmed off by the thugs and kleptocrats, and has the effect of keeping them IN power, still starving their people. IOW, it hasthe terrible effect of perpetuating the regimes that are causing the problem in the first place.
There's a hush-hush conversation that goes on in back corridors about this, but no one is willing to go on record about it, not even if you pull outtheir toenails. To cut off food aid would make you look "cruel" and"racist," so even though it backfires they keep doing it (and there's also agraft problem in the aid system). It's quite similar to the problem that Oilfor Food developed into--the same mechanisms in play. Corrupt dictator typesgetting "charitable" assistance and kicking back some of the goodies as theyuse the rest to shore up their power.